BVC will be hold auditions in late August and early January for singers with strong music reading ability and prior choral experience in all voice parts. To arrange an audition please complete our Audition Form. You will be notified as soon as there is an opening in your voice part (soprano, alto, tenor, bass). For specific questions or requests, contact us.
The elements of the audition include:
- Vocalizing up and down your range.
- Exercises using “tonal memory” (hearing a 4-note melody on the piano and then singing it back.)
- Sight-reading exercises.
- Performing a song, aria, or hymn of your choice. Singers are asked to bring an extra copy of the solo for the accompanist.
Expectations for Prospective Singers
- Sufficiently fluent in music reading — to be able to learn music independently and not exclusively by ear.
- A minimum of two years experience singing in a community, school, or church choir that regularly performs classical-style repertoire.
- Available for weekly Tuesday night rehearsals (7:30–9:30 pm) from September through May at St. Michael Lutheran Church in Unionville, Pennsylvania. A maximum of two missed rehearsals is allowed during each concert period. Singers who miss more than two must meet with the Artistic Director to make sure they are prepared. Singers may be excused in advance from a single concert period because of work or family obligations.
- Payment of annual dues of $125 (plus an additional $25 registration fee for the first year only).
The Chorale is appreciative of the volunteers behind the scenes who set the stage for success. You do not need to be a singing member to become involved. We would welcome help in several arenas — receptions and hospitality, grant writing, publicity and advertising, travel logistics and venues, and fundraising. Please consider sharing your talents, interests and expertise. If you are interested, contact us and we will get you involved!